Walnut Fruit Loaf With Lemon Icing
- FOR THE FRUIT LOAF:
- 1 kg fruit cake mix
- 750 ml water
- 250 g unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs , beaten
- 4 cups cake flour
- FOR THE LEMON ICING:
- 2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup walnuts , chopped, to decorate
- TO MAKE THE FRUIT LOAF:
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F), and grease two regular size loaf tins.
- Place the water in a large saucepan with the sugar and butter and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the butter has melted then add the fruit cake mix and boil for 15 minutes until the fruit has plumped up. Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the fruit is cooling, chop up half the walnuts into small pieces and set aside for later.
- Once the fruit mixture has cooled, stir in the bicarb of soda, spices, chopped nuts and eggs. 4.Sieve the flour and stir it into the fruit mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two loaf tins and make sure it is level, the best way to do this is with your hands.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the loaves bounce back when you touch them and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the loaves to cool to the touch before carefully turning them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE LEMON ICING:
- Sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl, then squeeze in enough fresh lemon juice (1 - 2 tbsp) to make a thick icing. Stir until smooth, then drizzle over the cooled loaves and top with chopped walnuts.