Veggie packed chow mein
- 2 (5.6 ounce) packages* yakisoba noodles, seasoning packets discarded
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (optional, for color)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons sesame or vegetable oil
- 4 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups shredded green or purple cabbage
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- 500g mince beef optional
- Follow the package instructions to warm and separate the yakisoba noodles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, dark soy sauce (if using), garlic, brown sugar, water, rice vinegar, and sriracha. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame (or vegetable) oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms in a single layer and saute for 90 seconds per side, until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the broccoli and carrots to the pan along with ¼ cup of water. Cover the pan, turn the heat down to medium, and let the vegetables steam for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and scallions and stir-fry for 1 minute. Return the mushrooms to the pan along with the prepared noodles. Toss well.
- Pour the whisked sauce into the pan and toss the noodles to coat. Let the sauce come to a boil before turning the heat off. Serve hot, garnished with sesame seeds (if desired).
- To make with meat
- Brown mince with the oil then add the mushrooms