Stir-fried vegetables on asian-style coconut & pumpkin polenta
Author: Asian cookbook
- 400ml Massel vegetable liquid stock, plus 100ml extra
- 500g pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 150g instant polenta
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 100g fresh wood ear mushrooms (see note), sliced
- 100g canned baby corn, halved lengthways
- 100g (about ⅓ bunch) gai lan (Chinese broccoli), cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- Coriander and toasted cashews, to serve
- Bring the stock and pumpkin to the boil in a pan, then simmer over medium heat for 12-15 minutes until tender. Cool slightly, then puree in a food processor. Return to pan with coconut milk and bring to the boil. Gradually add polenta, whisking constantly over medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes until the mixture thickens. Season to taste and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and cook garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add mushroom, corn, gai lan and chilli and toss for 2-3 minutes until almost cooked. Add the extra stock and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until vegetables are cooked. Divide polenta among 4 shallow bowls, top with vegetables and scatter with coriander and cashews. Serve immediately.