Lemon Ricotta Cake
Serves: 1 cake
- 120g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon zest
- 4 eggs, separated
- 240g almond meal
- 300g ricotta
- flaked almonds for decoration
- icing sugar for serving
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place 100g of the castor sugar and the lemon zest in a food processor and blitz until finely ground.
- Then beat the butter, vanilla and sugar/zest mix together for about 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating the mixture well after each egg yolk is added.
- Add the almond meal and beat to combine and then fold the ricotta through the almond mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar to the egg whites and whisk until stiff peaks have formed. Mix a third of the egg whites into the cake mixture, then gently fold in the rest of the egg white mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely in the cake tin before removing.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.