Lemon Butter Cookies
- 1 cup & 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 1½ tablespoon Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 7 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cut into ¼″ cubes
- 1 Egg Yolk
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice, fresh
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and lemon zest. Add the chilled butter and cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add in the egg yolk and using a fork, stir until blended. Using your hands, gently knead the bough until it comes together and forms a ball. (Note: If the dough looks too dry add some ice water 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture comes together.)
- Once the dough has been formed into a ball, cut the dough in half and roll each half into a log about 1-inch in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and allow them to chill in the freezer for 30 minutes. (Note: You can freeze the dough for up to a month if you do not want to bake all of the cookies immediately!)
- Once you are ready to bake the cookies pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the logs from the freezer, unwrap and slice into ¼-inch think rounds using a serrated knife. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and back for 10-12 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to completely cool before glazing them.
- For the Glaze:
- Place the powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl and add the lemon juice. Whisk until the mixture is syrupy. Glaze the cookies using a pastry brush, the back of a spoon, or place the glaze into a piping bag and pipe onto the cookie. Allow the cookies to sit until the glaze is set.