Grilled miso fish with snow pea salad
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ⅓ cup (80ml) mirin (Japanese rice wine: see Notes)
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (75g) red miso paste or white miso paste (see Notes)
- 600g skinless firm white fish fillets (such as ling or kingfish), cut into 3cm-wide strips
- Udon noodles, cooked according to packet instructions, to serve
- SNOW PEA SALAD
- 200g snow peas, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved, seeds removed, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine: see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Place soy, mirin and sugar in a small pan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add miso and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, transfer to a shallow bowl and cool completely.
- When cool, add the fish and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat a grill to high. Line a wire rack with foil. Place fish on the rack, discarding marinade, and grill for 5 minutes or until golden and caramelised (cooking the fish on the rack like this brings it closer to the grill and allows heat to circulate – only turn it if it starts to burn.)
- Meanwhile, toss the salad ingredients together in a bowl, then season. Divide salad and noodles among plates or bowls, then serve topped with fish.